Skip to content

MEDICATION ADMINISTRATION                                          

Administration of medications during school hours is discouraged unless a physician determines that a student’s health needs require them to be given while at school.

  • Medication must be transported to and from school by the parent/guardian or a responsible    adult designated by the parent or guardian.
  • Suwannee County School District has a "Zero Tolerance" drug policy.  Don't put your child at risk of disciplinary action!  As the parent you can avoid potential problems for your student.  Don't send any medications to school with your student.  Remember, even over the counter medications such as Tylenol and Advil are considered drugs.  
  • Instructions on using medication shall be provided in writing by the physician or licensed prescriber or described on the medication container provided by the physician, licensed prescriber or pharmacist.  
  • All medications shall be delivered to the school office or health clinic with the Medication Authorization form completed, and signed by the student’s parent(s) or legal guardian and the prescribing health care provider, to grant permission for administering the medication.
  • A separate Medication Authorization form must be completed for each medication that must be given during school hours or school sponsored activities.

 First dosage of any new medication shall not be administered during school hours because of the possibility of an allergic or adverse reaction.

  • Only medication in its ORIGINAL container from the store or pharmacy is accepted.
  • Non-Prescription medications in small-sized bottles are preferred due to limited storage space.
  • The school can accept no more than a 30 day supply of prescription medications.
  • Both prescription and non-prescription medication sent to the school must have current labeling on the bottle.
  • Medication in bottles that have expired labeling will not be given to the student.
  • The medication in the bottle must MATCH the label, MATCH the student, MATCH the Authorization Form, and have a CURRENT prescription label on the bottle (if it is a prescribed medication).
  • A new prescription bottle with correct labeling is required for any dosage change.
  • The school cannot alter dosages without a new authorization form from you and your child’s doctor/healthcare provider.

Unused medication should be retrieved from the school/office within one week after medication is discontinued and at the end of the school year. Otherwise, the school will dispose of the medication. Medication left at the end of the school year will be discarded


If you have a student who has asthma or other health-related conditions that require self-administration of medicine or emergency type(s) of medication, or a student who needs to carry medication on his/her person, you must complete an Authorization for Students to Carry a Prescription, Inhaler, Epipen, Insulin, or Other Approved Medication Form. You may obtain a form from your child’s school or on the website. This form requires a physician, the parent/guardian, and student’s signature. You are strongly encouraged to keep a “back-up” supply of any emergency medications such as an inhaler, epipen, diabetes medication, etc. in the school clinic. For further instructions, please call or visit your child’s school nurse.

  • Please instruct your student that under NO circumstances should medication be shown to or shared with another student!

Suwannee County School Board Definition of Substance Abuse:

The use of any drug when such use is unlawful, and the use of any drug when such use is detrimental to the user or to others but is not unlawful.